artbycassiday

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Serpentine Belt Feb 2006


www.artbycassiday.com

A few thoughts on the day.

The record breaking days in a row without a major $$$ car repair are now over. The record now stands at 108 days. From Oct 28 until Feb. 11.

They call it the "Serpentine Belt," a Biblical term, the serpent in the Garden of Eden having tempted Adam and Even to partake of the apple of knowledge, a Post-Lapsarian fallen world of sin ala the "Bible Belt." A long rubberized belt essential to the functioning of an engine; the water pump, the cooling system, the alternator which charges the battery, the power steering mechanism, are all dependent on this snakely named miracle of codependence. Sin makes my car run. Industry depends upon evil. Beware the Military Industrial Complex counseled Dwight D. Eisenhower.

When the "Serpentine Belt" broke it took out the water pump - or the water pump failure may have taken out the belt - a cause and effect mystery. A chicken and the egg conundrum. A Big Bang of ill fortune. A First Cause debate.

The "Serpentine Belt" brings forth a water pump gushing baptismal fount of worldly imperfections in a revelation: broken belt, broken water pump, worn brake pads, worn out "idler" arm: talk about our Puritan heritage and the sinfulness of "idleness" in a John Bunyan allegorical world under the hood. Bosch auto parts becomes Hieronymous Bosch in a "Garden of Earthly Delights" world under the hood wherein the delights of the world are quite offset by the everlasting damnations of the triptych’s right panel - The Christian Right? The "idler" arm which helps me steer my course failed. My God, my 1996 Blazer is a metaphor for the Fundamentalist Revolution. I had no idea of all this until my engine overheated and the power steering failed the Saturday night. Good Lord.

On the good news front, I will begin teaching a composition class at Metro Community College in March. I’m looking forward to getting back into a classroom. Now, if I can just move some art….. More good news - Jeremy’s broken thumb is healing nicely – the splint can come off in another week and he’ll be fine.

On Dick Cheney’s shooting his hunting companion, I’ve heard a couple of theories. One was that the Abramoff lobby scandal is implicated somehow. Another is that Cheney thought it was Scooter Libby sneaking up behind him. Whatever the case, just remember, guns don’t kill people, people kill people. All kidding aside, I’m glad the poor fellow Cheney shot wasn’t injured too badly.

I’m going to work on a painting today now that I have my car back.

Later,
Bud

"Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot, others transform a yellow spot into the sun." Picasso

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home