artbycassiday

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Basquiat, Stanley Williams, and Jesus



Dec. 2005


http://www.artbycassiday.com/

"Some painters transform the sun into a yellow spot, others transform a yellow spot into the sun." Picasso


Here's another nod to Basquiat who died in 1988 as a young man. As I mentioned yesterday, I've been reading a biography of him that's been a pretty good read. I've also been thinking about Stanley "Tookie" Williams' execution in California and the celebration of Jesus' birth we call Christmas.

I find a strangely compelling coming together of several thoughts about these three I will share: Basquiat, drug addicted, creative genius died of self inflicted heroin and cocaine abuse; Stanley "Tookie" Williams executed for killings he claimed he did not commit (how many deaths were caused by gang violence directly or indirectly caused/inspired by him? dozens if not hundreds?) and finally, Jesus, who committed no crime we would recognize, crucified as we sometimes say for our sins.

One the narcissistic self indulgent self destructive waste of genius, one the execution of the gang leader who renounced and preached against gang violence, produced literature of quality promoting life and the value of life, and the last executed amidst the political cauldron of ancient Rome and the occupation of conquered territory.

Basquiat's sins were committed against himself. Could Basquiat have found redemption and continued the creative journey of genius he was so briefly on? I think so; I think redemption is possible. Did Stanley "Tookie" Williams find redemption? Did he truly renounce his prior life? I don't know for sure, but it appeared so. And if so, what value is there in executing one who has found redemption? And even if not, would there have been more life value in his continuing anti-gaing work in prison? And, finally, Jesus, who committed no crimes yet threatened an entire empire, and, perhaps like Williams, was executed/crucified with political motives in play.

Are these three deaths linked? Not directly. Not clearly. But I have an uneasy feeling that they are in some ways. It's interesting that all three shared a mixture of spectacle and celebrity and politics. Were any of these three deaths justified or merited? Jesus, of course not. Basquiat, he self destructed. Stanley "Tookie" Williams - I recognize the obvious difference, but still I doubt it. However, their deaths all occurred and somehow we are diminished by that.

Usually I try to find the humorous in life to dwell on, but I think I am getting ready early for my annual Christmas depression and thoughts about what might have been. It's like getting my shopping done early instead of at the last minute.


Later,
Bud

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home