artbycassiday

Monday, May 22, 2017

Spirit Lake, Iowa

Spirit Lake, Iowa

Too many enchiladas
last night for dinner
at that really good Mexican place
after golf at Emerald Island golf course
in Spirit Lake, Iowa,
led to pretty restless stomach
as I tried to get to sleep,
but eventually, and after
four or five mint-flavored antacids,
my stomach settled down,
and slumber ensued.
Remind me not to eat five
enchiladas and have a large beer
and three glasses of water
late in the evening again.
We played 27 holes today at Brooks
and will order a pizza tonight,
watch a basketball game on tv,
and hope for playable
weather tomorrow before heading
back to Omaha for work on Wednesday.
I disturbed a little black critter,
maybe a small rat,
as I was looking for a golf ball in
some tall grass on one hole,
heard the usual geese and ducks,
and enjoyed the day.
A golf course employee was out
on his mower cutting the grass
while his dog was having a great
time following him in large looping
back and forths
clearly in great dog joy.
And right after I made a birdie putt
on the 26th hole of the day,
we saw lighting to the northwest
but were able to finish just as
rain started. We congratulated ourselves
on our excellent timing.
We've done this golf outing
for many years now, and
I hope to do it for a few more.
I think I made $4.50 on that birdie putt.
That rat, I suspect, hunkered
down in its little rat nest during the storm,
and that dog probably took
a pretty good nap afterward,
as did I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home