artbycassiday

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Egg Foo Yung



I drove to 84th and Center
tonight to have dinner at
The Top of the World
Chinese Buffet.
But it is no longer there.
There's another Chinese
restaurant there now.
I didn't go in.
I liked that place.
It wasn't fancy at all
and the food was delicious.
It was a family run place,
with cousins
at the cash register
and their teen age kids
working the water
and cleaning tables,
all the while doing
homework at an empty table.
I called it the place where
Mexicans went out for
Chinese. I heard four
languages being spoken
one time there: English,
Chinese, Spanish, and
possibly Farsi
although I'm not sure
about that last one.
For a while they
had egg foo yung there,
one of the few places
to have that -- a favorite of mine.
And their ice cream
had to be the coldest
ice cream in history -
anywhere - the kind
that gives you a
headache if
you eat it too fast.
Vanilla. Just the one
flavor, and you could
dispense a cone
or eat it in a dish.
No toppings, just
cold, very cold,
ice cream for dessert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home