artbycassiday

Sunday, June 04, 2017

The Sisterhood and Brotherhood of Skin Cancer

Apparently, a sisterhood/brotherhood
of skin cancer survivors exists
of which I was heretofore unaware.
I inspected several noses today
shared by former recipients
of the lance and Mohs procedures,
and heard of foreheads, and
shoulders and arms and hands,
skin grafts, and large bandages.
As a newer member of the
basal cell carcinoma club,
I appreciated all the outreach.
The sermon today included mention
of Edie, a church friend, who survived
bouts of far more serious cancers
for several years before
gracefully succumbing.
Groucho Marx once said he
didn't want to be a member
of a club that would have someone
like him as a member.
I don't share that sentiment
in this instance.
However, I don't want to be
a member of any more of these clubs
unless the alternative is worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home