artbycassiday

Monday, September 05, 2016

Godspeak

I wrote this piece to read in church last Sunday as part of our First Central Congregational UCC writer's group producing parts of each week's liturgy.........the theme of the day was Words. : * * * * * * * * * * * Contemporary reading. “Godspeak” Bud Cassiday * * * * * * * * * * God speaks in many languages. The Word of God can be heard when children laugh. The Word of God can be heard in whispering leaves, rushing water, and distant thunder. A baby’s cry might be God speaking. A coyote’s howl in the night might be God speaking. A cold winter wind might be God speaking. The music of a busker on the corner playing a saxophone for coins might be God speaking. The raucous noise of an urban Saturday night might be God speaking. A hot summer breeze might be God speaking. Rattling dishes in the cupboard from an earthquake in Oklahoma oil country might be God speaking. The drip, drip, drip of melting glaciers might be God speaking. We should listen to gentle rain, and squawking geese, and honking horns of traffic jams. We should listen to wind and rain and distant thunder and music and poetry and the creative spirits we hear all around us. We should listen to sunny days and dark nights, spring mornings and winter evenings. For if we do not, we may miss those words of God.

4 Comments:

Blogger Greg Kosmicki said...

Nice words Bud! And that painting is one of your more gorgeous works, in my humble 'pinion.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Greg Kosmicki said...

PS I'd help you move but I'm an old man, plus I think that I'm scheduled to go out and slaugther my first-born son this weekend, or I'd come help you move. Gregoire

6:24 PM  
Blogger Bud Cassiday said...

thanks greg

8:42 PM  
Blogger Mary Campbell said...

I'd like to post this in my poetry blog if you don't mind....

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home